Wires and cables are basically a network of lines and channels of networks that facilitate the movement of current in an insulated and regular manner.
Flexible wires or Flexible cables, as the name indicates are electrical cables that are designed with everlasting flexibility and seamless strength. These wiring cables can be coiled and stretched to any extent and therefore an integral part of wiring applications in industrial works, house electrical wiring, or construction sites.
Flexible wires on the other hand, are specially created to deal with heavy electrical loads. It can easily handle the tight bending radii and physical stress associated with moving applications. Flexible copper wires are designed to ensure excellent mechanical properties, uninterrupted electrical insulation, efficient chemical stability, and water resistance.
Types of flexible cables-
1. Stationary: These cables are cost-effective solutions, basically used in static applications such as stationary trays, audio and studio broadcast systems, instrumentation systems, and so on.
2. Bending flex: Usually, one end of the cable remains stationary and the other end moves. Some of the bending flex cables do not withstand any flex cycles, while some can withstand 1 - 12 million flex cycles. Bending flex cables are typically used for portable power equipment, cable tray routing, wind and solar energy, oil and gas applications, and many more.
3. Continuous flex: These cables are devised for 1-20 million flex cycles. This wide range of flex cycles is meant for applications like moving robotics, constantly moving gantries, etc.
4. Torsional flex: These cables are used for constant twist and turns, combined with pullig back and forth motions. They are also used for 360 degree round an axis.
Types of wiring systems-
1. Cleat wiring: This is a temporary system, barely used now-a-days. Cleat wiring is held on ceilings and walls using porcelain cleats along with wood, plastic or groves. The wiring system consists of braided and compounded ordinary VIR or PVC insulated wires. Also, this is not preferred for house wiring purposes.
2. Casing and Capping wiring: The cables are channelled through wooden casing enclosures made of wooden strips and are cut into paralled grooves to accommodate the cable. the cable used in casing and capping wiring are made of VIR, PVC or any validated insulated cables.
3. Batten wiring: Single double or triple TRS oval-shaped cables are preferred in this wiring system as they are resistant to water, steam and chemical but reactive to lubricating oil. Group of wires are laid on a wooden batten, held together with a brass clip. the wires are placed at an interval of 10cm for horizontal runs and 15cm for vertical runs.
4. Lead sheathed wiring: This type of wiring uses VIR insulated conductors and covered with outer sheath made of 95% -lead aluminium alloy. The metal sheath protects the cable from moisture or atmospheric corrosion or any mechanical damage. Similar to TRS wiring, the wires are held with link clips and are run on woodden battens.
5. Conduit wiring: There are 2 major categories of conduit wiring -
● SURFACE CONDUIT WIRING: Electrical wires are placed inside GI or PVC conduits that are installed ceilings or walls. These conduits are attached with the hep of base clips and 2-hole straps at regular distances.
● CONCEALED CONDUIT WIRING: Here the wires are fitted inside the conduits and the conduits are chiselled inside the walls, so that they are not visible from outside. Concealed conduit wiring is more preferable as they are durable and more presentable.
The other type of conduit wiring are metallic conduit, non-metallic conduit, class A conduit and class B conduit.
Electrical cables and wiring installations are required at almost every aspect of customary life. Flexible copper wires are predominantly used for wiring in almost all locations. They are considered best wires for house wiring, or building cables due to their ductility, durability, tensile strength, etc. The topmost application areas of the copper flexible cables and wires are as follows
● Metros Projects
● Power Plants and Factories
● Construction Sites
● Security matters
The size of the flexible cable wires vary based on the purpose of use.
● For technical data heavy duty flexible cable size ranges from .20mm to .50mm
● For PVC Insulated Solid And Straned Copper/Aluminium Conductor Cables For Fixed Installation Working Voltage Upto 1100 Volts size varies from 1.12mm to 2.24mm
● For Technical Data Flexible Multicore Round the size is .20mm
● For Flexible Three And Four Core Heavy Duty Cables For Working Voltage 1100 Volts, the size is 20mm
Some of the pioneering brands that have created lasting impressions and trust in the market are as follows:
1. Valuecon wires
2. Sterlite Cables
3. Havells India
4. KEI Industries Ltd.
5. V-Guard Industries Ltd
6. Syska Wires
7. Uniflex Cables Ltd
8. Anchor by Panasonic